Which Should You Choose:
Short Throw Or Long Throw Projector?
By XGIMI Tech - 2022-07
Choosing Between Short Throw And Long Throw Projectors
Deciding between short throw and long throw projector is essential when making a purchase. Short throw and long throw refer to the throw ratio of a projector which is the ratio between the projector's distance to the wall and the horizontal dimensions of the image projected.
Long throw projectors can display images correctly from long distances and more likely to be affected more easily by ambient light than short throw projectors. On the other hand, short throw projectors can display very close to the screen. However, these devices tend to get hot quickly.
In this article, we will highlight what short throw and long throw projectors are, pros and cons, and the points to consider when choosing either. We will also recommend the best XGIMI projectors to meet your required viewing needs.
Long Throw Vs. Short Throw Projectors: What Is The Difference?
Long throw projectors are designed for long-distance projecting, often from six feet upwards which is quite suitable for large theater rooms, exhibition halls, and conference rooms. They can project screen sizes as wide as 100 inches. In contrast, short throw projectors produce large pictures from a short distance. A short throw projector has a throw ratio between 0.4 and 1. This means that with a throw ratio of 0.4, it can produce a four-foot widescreen from just 1.7 meters away from the wall.
For ultra-short-throw projectors, they have a throw ratio of less than 0.4, so you can easily place them very close to the screen. As these projectors can project images from an extremely short distance, they are excellent for small rooms and spaces.
You may also interested in: How Throw Ratio Helps You Achieve the Ideal Screen Size?
Long Throw Projectors
- These devices can project images over long distances, thus making them an excellent choice when the screen is not where the power source is. This makes them excellent for large conference rooms, classrooms, and lecture halls.
- In situations where foot traffic close to the screen is high, they can be a good resource since they prevent shadow obstructions and provide a comfortable viewing experience.
- When projecting outdoors, a long throw projector would produce less image distortion.
- Long throw projectors are often more moderately priced than short throw projectors.
- Long throw projectors cast images over long distances and are highly vulnerable to being obstructed by obstacles or people's shadows.
- These devices cut out quite a large portion of space that can be used within the home theater room as they often require to be far from the screen to get a large and preferable image display.
- They are also prone to glare from ambient light, primarily because of their placement angle.
Short Throw Projectors
- One significant advantage of these projectors is their space-saving ability, as they can project large images from a few feet away and avoid disturbance from people's shadows or obstacles. Thus, they are ideal for small home theater rooms and spaces.
- Short throw projectors can cast enormous screens from short distances, helping them blend easily in your home decors.
- They are also ideal for projecting from behind a screen as they reduce the possibility of the projector experiencing accidental bumps.
- Projecting on an uneven surface will result in more image warping.
- These devices are generally more expensive than long throw projectors.
- They also tend to have more fan noise to reduce increased projector heat caused by the extra processing power within them.
You may also interested in:How To Choose A Short-Throw Projector?
Which Is Best For You?
In choosing either short throw or long throw projectors, there are particular reasons to consider which ultimately would influence your decision. Purchasing a long throw projector can be considered for the following reasons:
- If you are planning to project in a large room and need a large screen.
- If you prefer having the projector cast images from a distance.
- If you have a small budget and desire value for your money. Short throw projectors would be an excellent choice for the following reasons:
- If you prefer having the projector close to the screen or wall to avoid accidental bumps.
- If you do not mind spending more as you have a more comprehensive budget.
The Best XGIMI Projectors To Choose From
XGIMI's HORIZON Pro, Elfin, and AURA are incredible smart projectors that provide a fantastic and immersive viewing experience with the following unique features:
XGIMI HORIZON Pro (Long Throw Home Projector)
- 4K UHD/2200 ANSI lumens: HORIZON Pro produces crisp videos with 4K ultra-high-definition resolution and 2200 ANSI lumens brightness level, which provides an immersive and cinematic viewing experience from a distance.
- Intelligent Screen Adaption: (ISA) technology ensures easy usability and setup through:
○ Intelligent Obstacle Avoidance resizes the image to avoid objects in the projection zone;
○ Autofocus automatically produces crystal-clear visuals to keep your viewing experience uninterrupted;
○ Auto Keystone Correction for adjusting the display up to ±45° horizontally or vertically to produce a rectangular image;
○ Intelligent Screen Alignment, which resizes the dimensions of the projections to fit the screen.
- Large screen: Has a maximum 200-inch screen for superb viewing from any angle and corner of the room.
- MEMC: Delivers low latency and low image blur, ensuring that fast-paced action movies, sports, and games stay crisp and sharp when projected.
- HDR10: Provides an impressive contrast ratio and color enhancement for an immersive viewing experience at any time all day.
- Harman Kardon sound: Features two built-in 8W Harman Kardon speakers that eliminate the need for any external sound system and provide an incredible audio experience.
- X-VUE 2.0 Image Engine: Provides real-life video display, resulting in an immersive movie experience.
- Multiple ports: Supports 2× HDMI 2.0, 2× USB 2.0, 1×LAN, and 1×Headphone (3.55 mm) to provide multiple connection options for laptops and gaming consoles.
- Chromecast built-in/Bluetooth/WiFi: Supports Chromecast built-in for casting content directly from smart devices and features Bluetooth and WiFi for connecting with other smart devices.
- Android TV: Offers Android TV™ and gives access to over 5000 apps like HBO Max, Disney+, and Hulu, which provides non-stop entertainment.
XGIMI Elfin (Long Throw Home Projector)
- 1080p FHD resolution/800 ANSI lumens: Elfin has 1080p FHD resolution that produces crystal-clear video displays and 800 ANSI lumens that supports clear viewing any time of the day.
- Large screen: Its maximum 200-inch screen supports comfortable viewing from any corner and room angle.
- Harman Kardon sound: Has two 5W built-in speakers, which provide rich, top-quality sound that enhances the movie viewing experience.
- X-VUE 2.0 Image Engine: Produces image clarity which results in real-life video displays, so movies and games appear realistic and immersive.
- Intelligent Screen Adaption: ISA technology simplifies ease of setup and usability with:
○ Autofocus automatically produces crisp images to keep your viewing experience uninterrupted;
○ Auto Keystone Correction for a properly-aligned rectangular image from side projection;
○ Intelligent Obstacle Avoidance for scaling the image to keep it away from obstructing objects;
○ Intelligent Screen Alignment, which automatically resizes the projection to fit the projector screen.
- HDR10: Features an excellent contrast ratio and color enhancement that supports viewing at all times.
- MEMC: Offers low latency and image blur, keeping fast-paced videos crisp and sharp while projected.
- Multiple ports: Supports HDMI 2.0 ×1, USB 2.0 ×1, and 3.55mm Headphone ×1 for connecting laptops and gaming consoles.
- Chromecast built-in/Bluetooth/WiFi: Supports casting content directly from smart devices through Chromecast built-in and features Bluetooth and WiFi for connecting with other smart devices.
- Android TV: Offers Android TV™ and gives access to over 5000 apps like HBO Max, Disney+, and Hulu, for unlimited entertainment.
XGIMI AURA (4K Ultra Short Throw Laser Projector)
- 4K UHD/2400 ANSI lumens: AURA has 4K ultra high definition resolution, which provides clear video quality, while its 2400 ANSI lumens brightness makes it ideal for use both in the day and at night.
- ltra Short Throw (UST) technology: Its advanced UST technology provides a 120" screen display from 11.7 inches away, so you can save space, avoid obstacles, and have the ideal screen size for an immersive movie experience.
- X-VUE 2.0 Image Engine: Enhances color depth and produces sharp video quality, and makes images appear natural.
- Harman Kardon sound: Comes with built-in two woofers and two tweeters at 15W each to provide a room-filling and rich audio output.
- MEMC: Delivers low latency rates and eliminates blurry video quality when projecting sports, action movies, and games.
- Multiple ports: Comes with 3× HDMI 2.0, 3× USB 2.0, 1× LAN, and 1× headphone (3.55mm), which offers viewers several connection options.
- Chromecast built-in/Bluetooth/WiFi: Offers Chromecast built-in, allowing casting from smart devices, Bluetooth, and WiFi that provides advanced connectivity options for devices like tablets and smartphones so you can view any content of your choice.
- Android TV: Offers Android TV™, which provides easy access to over 5000 streaming apps like Hulu, HBO Max, and Disney+ for unlimited entertainment.
Enjoy An Immersive Movie Experience With XGIMI Projectors
Long throw projectors support long-distance projecting and can easily fit into a tight budget even though they are vulnerable to obstructions and prone to glare. With short throw projectors, one can easily save space, especially in a small apartment. They also project enormous sizes from short distances, making it easy for them to blend with your home decor. However, their fans produce too much noise, and projecting with them on an uneven surface can result in image warping.
Both short throw and long throw projectors are amazing devices so you should choose the one that fits your desired requirements and more likely meets your viewing needs. XGIMI's HORIZON Pro, Elfin, and AURA are great projectors with incredible features that will provide the best movie viewing experience.
Always be the special one.
Receive exclusive offer, newsletter, and more